Sheila is an ERYT 500 certified teacher who has been practicing and teaching for many years. She is the founder of both Johns Creek Yoga and Duluth Yoga and relishes the opportunity to share the practice that has so powerfully transformed her life with as many people as she can. She completed her 200 hour training at Peachtree Yoga in Sandy Springs, Georgia and her 500 hour at Kripalu Yoga Center in Massachusetts. She holds additional certifications in Yin Yoga and Thai Yoga Bodywork. In addition to daily classes at both studios, she facilitates Yoga Teacher Training and offers retreats and workshops both locally and internationally. As a former Professor of American literature, Sheila loves to explore the intersection between philosophy, poetry, religion, nature and yoga and often brings that synthesis into her classes. She continues to take advantage of every opportunity to train and learn and will forever consider herself a student of this ancient and beautiful practice.
300-Hour Teacher Training Program
Duluth Yoga 300-Hour Teacher Training Program
To be eligible for the 300hr yoga instructor certification you will need to have already obtained a Yoga Alliance certification at the 200hr level, (from Johns Creek Yoga or elsewhere).
In even the highest quality 200hr yoga instructor certifications, there is only so much you can learn. A 300hr certification demonstrates that you have taken the time to dive more deeply into the rich history, art and science of yoga, and into your own practice. Our program emphasizes experience in the belief that it is only possible to take students where you have already gone yourself. We balance that experience with practical tools to help you share what you have learned with your own students all while providing you with flexibility in scheduling your course work
About Your Trainer
Awaken the Teacher Within
We understand that most teachers who are pursuing deeper training at this level are already immersed in teaching careers and are often juggling multiple responsibilities. Our aim is to offer a program that will create as little disruption in your daily life as possible while still enriching your understanding of these ancient and powerful practices and enhancing your skills as an instructor.
How do I get certified?
To obtain certification, you are required to complete 11 modules plus one practicum. You can customize them according to your interests. This can be completed in as little as 12-18 months, or you can take up to 3 years. Most modules run from Friday to Sunday, but some are longer or shorter depending upon subject matter. They are taught by our experienced staff and by various other experts in their fields. Seven are mandatory, and four are electives with restricted subject matter. Modules are generally open to the public as well, so you will be among both teachers and students seeking deeper understanding of their practice.
Required Modules (click on titles for more detailed information)
Sacred Texts – Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras With Sheila McVay (Dates Coming Soon)
Creative Theming and Sequencing with Tami Roberts and Sheila McVay (Dates Coming Soon)
Sustainability in Yoga: An Exploration of Primal Movement and Anatomy with Sean Tebor (Dates Coming Soon)
Teaching Trauma Sensitive Yoga with Amy Pancake (Dates Coming Soon)
Yoga and Ayurveda (Dates Coming Soon)
After Completion of all 7 required modules, you may schedule your Practicum which will require you to design and teach a 3-hour workshop of your choice under the guidance of one of our instructors at Johns Creek Yoga
Choose ONE of these Sacred Scripture Modules:
- Sacred Scriptures and Philosophy: The Bhagavad Gita with Sheila McVay
- Sacred Scriptures and Philosophy: The Hatha Yoga Pradipika with Sheila McVay
Choose Three electives from the following:
- Mantra Yoga Intensive with Ian Boccio, June 8 – 10, 2018
- Teaching Yin Yoga (with Certification) with Dennis and Kathy Lang, Aug 3 – 5, 2018
- Grounded Kids Yoga with Amy Haysman, Aug 24-26, 2018
- Yoga Nidra: Evolutionary Education (RYT300) with Dr. Nick Atlas, Sept 29 – 30
- Advanced Assisting with Tami Roberts and Cybele Steen, Dates Coming Soon
- Thai Yoga Bodywork with Michael Sitzer, Dates Coming Soon
- A $50 non-refundable application fee is required for consideration of acceptance. Download the application here: 300 hour Teacher Training Application Then email to email@example.com
- A $250 non-refundable enrollment fee is required upon acceptance. This covers tracking of hours and graduation documentation.
- Prices for each module will vary from $120 for shorter programs to $800 for the Meditation Immersion. Most 3 day modules will cost approximately $300. You will pay per module upon enrollment for each.